1. The claim selection process to be verified
Cek Fakta Liputan6.com verifies claims that are viral on social media and messaging apps, as well as from reader's input through its specific email address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The verification is prioritized on claims relating to the public interest which are urgent, and potentially divisive, such as when a disaster or a major accident occurs.
2. Fact check research
Research will be carried out with various methodologies as follows:
- Check the source or origin of the claim. As one of Facebook's partners in Indonesia, Liputan6.com has access to a special dashboard to monitor what news is viral on social media.
- If the news source comes from social media, the team will check the account (is it verified, how about its consistency).
- Check the claim by comparing it with the news by mainstream media, the official websites of the relevant institutions, or the official social media accounts of the institution or related figure.
- Confirm directly to the figure or representative of the institution who is the target of the hoax, also to the authorities.
- Contact experts to help interpret data or the context of the problem.
- Do not use anonymous sources to do data verification.
- Use a number of tools available on the internet, for example, Google Reverse Images to test the authenticity of images, and MapChecking to test claims about human density in a particular location.
3. Fact check article format
Articles which has been verified on fact check channel of Liputan6.com are presented in the following format:
- Claim: The first part of the article will discuss the source of the claim and the narrative expressed by the claimant.
- Tracing facts: The second part of the article seeks to compare certain claims with the evidence found, as well as confirmation from related parties or authorities. Cek Fakta Liputan6.com seeks to provide literacy to readers by linking articles to official social media sites or accounts that are used as evidence.
In all Fact Check articles published by Liputan6.com, it also contains how to use tools available on the internet, which can be used to verify certain claims. This is done as an effort to provide literacy for readers to fight hoaxes.
- Claim conclusions/Rating
After the verification process is carried out, by including supporting evidences, the team of Fact Check channel will provide conclusions regarding the claims examined.
There are five rating categories that we use:
- TRUE: Claims are proven accurate, supported by a number of evidences that can be justified.
- CLARIFICATION: Contains clarification from relevant parties of certain claims.
- DISINFORMATION: Claims are based on facts or data that are correct, but are accompanied by a false or misleading narrative.
- FALSE: Claims are not based on evidence that can be accounted for.
- HOAX: Not at all based on evidence that can be accounted for, claims indicated intentionally exhaled by certain parties to achieve certain goals.